Friday, September 19, 2014

My Thai Friends!


I am blessed with two days, three hours, class to attend at the College of Management Mahidol University, and rest of days free to do my private works at home and loiter nearby shopping malls for window shopping and trying to make my self engaged fully. Sometimes, I am hooked inside my room whole day with my research works as assigned to look for by adviser. Nevertheless, I don't want to become a jailed man but want to explore more on Thai culture and Buddhism practiced for many centuries. This inner quest for exploratory  feeling on Thai Culture and Buddhist values push me out of my door with my small hand bag that contains my slim pocket, mobile phone and few garlands to be offered to Lord Buddha at temple. As we Bhutanese popularly say" Even a small flower can be treated as an offering item to Buddha". So, is the case happens to me as a student who has few bahts to spare to buy few garlands available in the market, supposed to be offered to Lord Buddha to gain huge merits in my life.

Hanging my bag on my shoulder, I would always walk away from my room to the place where I could catch up the scooter to reach me nearby the temple. I, would keep my ten baht inside my T-Shirt pocket for the scooter charge as ritualistic way. Passing through, a fly over bridge could take me near the busy street of Ding Daeng Road in morning hours with street hawkers and beggar freely spread out to make their day successful. Meandering through the street watching the different activities left and right would make me rejoice at heart for Thai way of life. I would be dashing through such busy street and finally reach the temple gate. Firstly, I am welcomed by three Buddha statues facing the temple gate, to whom I fold my hands and offer my respect through gesture mixed with Thai-Bhutanese way. I am trying to transform and assimilate Thai culture into my traditions bit different even we are Buddhist by birth.  

My  sixty five and sixty two year old lady would be happily smiling and welcoming in front of the temple whenever I visit. I would greet them with the word" Swadhi Khap" meaning "Kuzuzangpo" with my folded hands placed on my chest. Then, firstly, I would visit the big statue of Lord Buddha and make my garland offering with my lay man's prayers for all sentient beings as dedication of my small drop of merits that I gathered for the day. Nevertheless, there are many small chapels that I visit and make prayers for the well being of all sentient beings. I would also check my future forecasting with shaking the lucky numbers written on flat bamboo stick and matching with  written paper pasted on the wall. 

It says in this way; "Just like an orchard tree not yet yielding fruits, awaiting for rainfall. Do not make a hasty decision to move away from the place. Wait and see. Some development under way. No child forthcoming. Meeting companionable persons and relatives. Good lucks approaching. Love not being satisfied in immediate future." This my latest futuristic prediction came from the omniscient Lord Buddha after I requested with my deepest devotion and reverence. It is this predictions which gave me courage to fight with hard times of sickness and obstacles encountered in my here in Bangkok. The power and blessings given by Lord Buddha pushed me further to meditate constantly  and study in-spite of the fact that I am weak and troubled deeply. This is not the end but just begging of my life and Lord Buddha will never deny me and in return I will be his faithful and dedicated follower too.

After all temple visit are said and done, I would sit on the chair outside the temple and chat with my Thai old lady friends with my few Thai words. One of my Thai ladies can speak English well and she is now my guide and best friend. They treat me as their son from Farang" Foreign" land. Many visitor would pass by and we continue with our talks on Thai culture and beliefs. Indeed, I became the listener and they are my teachers who teach me the complex culture of Thailand and she always introduces me to different monks and other Thai people with her English translation which I never pay for it. 

Indeed, I don't feel any cultural shock as other foreigners did since I could sink in lot of new cultures without much struggles and avoidance. The senior monks would come and talk with me for few minutes and share their dreams to visit Bhutan one day. In the minds of Thai people, Bhutan is the Happiest Country in the world where there is a peace and harmony and successful democratic Nation. Even my clinical doctor would happily share her wishes to visit Bhutan one day as tourist inside the Doctor chamber. On the other hand, Bhutanese people are denying our, religion, culture and traditions and Philosophy of Gross National Happiness (GNH) and looking always towards US and Australia to make money and settle there forever. 

To conclude my writing, I would say that if we are good at heart, we also meet good and supportive people anywhere.To get friendship and support, we don't have make any special gift but understand the other people well and let them know yourself well. Be open heart always wins the hearts of many people and they are always with you for anything. Be always frank and direct, never hide your feelings, it would spoil the friendship. Friend is need indeed. May my  Thai old women live long and happy life.

Mindu Wangdi



No comments:

Post a Comment